1. No purchase is necessary to enter or win. Contestants will submit their audio or video links using the method outlined in the contest description:
To enter, you must upload a video of your performance to YouTube and, using our online entry form, send us a link to the YouTube video. Birthplace of Country Music does not provide accounts; the videos must be uploaded on an existing account, or an account the contestant creates for the contest. If the video is private or restricted, you must send a password or instructions to access the video in the entry form as well.
2. Eligibility: This contest is open to legal U.S. residents over the age of 15 except where prohibited by law, but parents or legal guardians must submit on behalf of any participants between the ages of 15 and 18. Employees or board members of the Birthplace of Country Music, Inc. (BCM) are prohibited from entering.
3. Submissions: All submissions must be cover versions of “16 Tons” as recorded by Tennessee Ernie Ford. For the purpose of this contest “Cover Version” will mean a new performance of the original song, though the music or lyrics may be altered by the participant. Deadline for submission is Friday, December 4, 2015.
4. Judging: Eligible submissions will be judged by a panel of Birthplace of Country Music Museum staff and members of the Paramount Chamber Players, as well as representatives from Tennessee Ernie Ford Enterprises and the children of Ernie Ford and Merle Travis. All decisions made by the judging panel are final.
5. Prizes: The first-place winner will have the chance to perform their version of “16 Tons” at the exhibit’s closing concert, co-produced by the Paramount Chamber Players, on February 13, 2016 at the Paramount Center for the Arts. First-, second-, and third-place winners will receive a copy of River of No Return: Tennessee Ernie Ford and the Woman He Loved by Jeffrey Buckner Ford and a Birthplace of Country Music Museum mug. First- and second-place winners will also receive their choice of either five free passes to the Birthplace of Country Music Museum or a one-year individual museum membership.
6. Winner Notification: After the committee picks the winners, they will be notified via contact information provided in their application within 14 days. If a response is not received within one week (5 business days) of notification, the winner will be disqualified and an alternative winner selected.
a. Participants hereby grant BCM a non-exclusive, perpetual, worldwide license to broadcast, publish, store, reproduce, distribute, syndicate, and otherwise use and exhibit the Submission (along with their names, voices, performance and/or likenesses) in all media now known and later come into being for purposes of trade or advertising without further compensation. Participants warrant that they have full legal right, power and authority to grant BCM the foregoing license and if applicable, have secured all necessary rights from any participants in, and contributors to, their Submission in order to grant such a license.
b. BCM is under no obligation to use any submission or to return the submission or any part of the submission to the participant.
c. Winners will be required to execute and return a Certificate of Eligibility, Consent and General Release form within 14 days of notification. Non-compliance within this time period may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner.
8. Use of Contest Information: All entries become property of BCM. BCM reserves the right to use any and all information related to the contest, including submissions provided by the contestants for editorial, marketing, or any other purpose unless prohibited by law.
9. BCM is not responsible for late, lost or misdirected email or for any computer, online, telephone or technical malfunctions that may occur. If for any reason, the contest is not capable of running as planned, BCM may cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the contest. Entrants agree to release BCM from any liability resulting from or related to their participation in the contest.
10. Entry into the contest does not confer any contestant a license to distribute or sell their cover version of “16 Tons.” BCM encourages all entrants who wish to commercially release their cover versions to obtain the appropriate licenses.
11. Winners list: Winners will be announced on the Birthplace of Country Music Museum’s social media platforms.
12. By participating in this contest, you acknowledge that this contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram and release these entities from any and all liability arising from or related to this contest. The information you are providing for this contest is being provided to BCM and not to any social media platform.
13. By sending their submission to BCM, participants agree to be bound by these Official Rules. BCM reserves the right to disqualify any participant it finds to be in violation of these rules or who attempts to undermine the entry or judging process in any way.